Description of Photo Description of Photo Description of Photo Description of Photo

Friday 9 September 2011

Review: Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick

Title: Hush ,Hush
Author: Becca Fitzpatrick


Release Date: December 9th 2010
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Children's
Genre: Young Adult, Paranormal Fantasy
Series: Hush, Hush
Pages: 391
Format: Paperback
Rating: ★★★



"For Nora Grey, romance was not part of the plan. She's never been particularly attracted to the boys at her school, no matter how much her best friend, Vee, pushes them at her. Not until Patch came along. With his easy smile and eyes that seem to see inside her, Nora is drawn to him against her better judgment. 

But after a series of terrifying encounters, Nora's not sure who to trust. Patch seems to be everywhere she is, and to know more about her than her closest friends. She can't decide whether she should fall into his arms or run and hide. And when she tries to seek some answers, she finds herself near a truth that is way more unsettling than anything Patch makes her feel. For Nora is right in the middle of an ancient battle between the immortal and those that have fallen - and, when it comes to choosing sides, the wrong choice will cost her life."

My thoughts: Becca Fitzpatrick creates atmosphere easily to build fear for the characters very early on in this book, leaving the reader constantly guessing, and with a great twist at the end, which admittedly is quite predictable, but still very interesting and enjoyable. I wish that the front cover of this book didn't spoil the plot, as I'm sure that the writer was trying to create mystery around the character Patch, but unfortunately the image of a fallen angel make's this 'mystery' fall flat on it's face. I did find many similarities to other story lines which was slightly disappointing. Let me explain. 
I'm sure you have all heard of Twilight, well who hasn't? Now I'm not saying that this is about vampires or that the writer has ripped off the plot from this novel, but certain aspects have definitely made an appearance. For example the two main characters, Nora and Patch, meet for the first time at high school in Biology class. Fair enough, where else would a high school student meet a mysterious student? But was it entirely necessary for the chosen class to be Biology? Well it kind of was. There were issues raised within the book that that could only be raised within a biology lesson, so I guess we'll let the writer off with this one. The other plot that this book reminded me of is not a book. In fact it is the British T.V series, Hex. I'm not sure how popular this series was, as I'm pretty sure that it was cancelled after the second series. No surprise really as the main, much loved character was killed off within the first few episodes of the second series, then replaced by a much feistier, female demon killer. If you've not heard of this series it too is about a fallen angel that needs to seduce a human to spawn a child, which will bring on the earths destruction. In fact the nearer to the end of Hush, hush, the more I was reminded of Hex. This could be completely coincidental as the writer may have never seen this series, so for this we will also let her off.

I guess that I would recommend this book, I think it's one that I love to hate (slightly.) I did throughly enjoy parts but some just didn't feel quite right. I'm very curious to see where the story leads so there's no doubt that I will end up picking up the next two books in the series, Crescendo, which is out now and Silence, which the hardback version will be released November 4th 2011 in the UK. Gosh I really am a sucker for paranormal series. 




Book Review by Grazing Pages

No comments:

Post a Comment