Description of Photo Description of Photo Description of Photo Description of Photo

Tuesday 27 September 2011

Review: The Iron King by Julie Kagawa

Author: Julie Kagawa
Release Date: February 1st 2010
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Genre: High fantasy, Paranormal, Fairies, Young Adult
Series: The Iron Fey
Pages: 363
Format: Paperback
Rating: 

"Meghan Chase has a secret destiny; one she could never have imagined.
Something has always felt slightly off in Meghan's life, ever since her father disappeared before her eyes when she was six. She has never quite fit in at school or at home.
When a dark stranger begins watching her from afar, and her prankster best friend becomes strangely protective of her, Meghan senses that everything she's known is about to change.
But she could never have guessed the truth - that she is the daughter of a mythical faery king and is a pawn in a deadly war. Now Meghan will learn just how far she'll go to save someone she cares about, to stop a mysterious evil no faery creature dare face; and to find love with a young prince who might rather see her dead than let her touch his icy heart."
Source, Goodreads

I just finished The Iron King, and when I say just, I mean I put the book down less that a minute ago, but I felt the need to write my review. Controversial as it may be, I didn't like this book. I've heard nothing but good thing about it, so before embarking upon it's adventures I thought that I would love every page. Within the first 50 pages this was the case. I was intrigued by Megan's story, I enjoyed getting to know all the characters and most of all I love Ethan (Megan's half brother) and Megan's bond, but this quickly ended as soon as the fey world was reviled. I'm not quite sure what happened here on out but my love for this book quickly fell away and I felt like I couldn't relate to the characters, I couldn't relate to the story and I felt like I had to force myself to keep plodding on through this book, until it was finally over. I know that this sounds harsh, and I can see how people could love this book, but for me I had no interest it in. 
I don't think it helped that I felt like I had read this story so many times before. For me this book felt like a cross between The Lion, the witch and the wardrobe, the never-ending story (believe me it felt never-ending) and any other mystical, fantasy fiction you can fill that void with. When I first picked up this book I imagined something rather original, and maybe this was my problem. Maybe a book relating to the fey world cannot be written without taking major influences from other stories.  
Overall this book was not for me. I'm not interested in Megan, I'm not interested in Ash, I'm not interested in reading any other books in this series. I felt that the story was like a broken recorded, over and over again, I as a reader was forced to watch as Meghan was caught, then rescued, caught, then rescued, and caught, then rescued once again, until the point where I wished that Meghan would never be rescued again so the story would come to an abrupt end. Unfortunately I've never been someone who can put a book down midway through, so even though 100 pages in I knew that this book was not for me, I had to continue until the end. And now it's over. 
Though this is not the best review, don't let this put you off from reading The Iron King, you may find a story within it's pages that you adore. Personally, I just don't think I have enough imagination for Julie Kagawa.
Happy Reading,
Katie 
x

No comments:

Post a Comment