Description of Photo Description of Photo Description of Photo Description of Photo

Wednesday 7 September 2011

Review: The Wedding Girl by Madeleine Wickham

Title: The Wedding Girl
Author: Madeleine Wickham (Sophie Kinsella)

Release Date: December 9th 2010 (first published 1999)
Publisher: Black Swan
Genre: Chick-Lit
Series: stand-alone Novel
Pages: 366
Format: Paperback
Rating: ★★★★

"At the age of eighteen, in that first golden Oxford summer, Milly was up for anything. Rupert and his American lover Allan were all part of her new, exciting life, and when Rupert suggested to her that she and Allan should get married, just so that Allan could stay in the country, Milly didn't hesitate.

Ten years later, Milly is a very different person. Engaged to Simon – who is wealthy, serious, and believes her to be perfect – she is facing the biggest and most elaborate wedding imaginable. Her mother has it planned to the finest detail. Milly’s dreadful secret is locked away so securely she has almost persuaded herself that it doesn't exist – until, with only four days to go, her past catches up with her."
Information from Goodreads


This is the second Medeleine Wickham book I've read and I must say that I really enjoy her writing. I  personally love Sophie Kinsella's writing so to find out that even more of her books exist is such treat. The story 'the wedding girl' itself seems a little far fetched but what unfolds as you get deeper into the plot is well worth it. This book made me laugh, cry, gasp and smile. I loved it. I read this within 24 hours because I just couldn't put it down. Every opportunity I had I picked it up to read just a few more pages. The Wedding Girl is about Milly who is only a few days away from marrying the man of her dreams but she has a secret... she's already married! The far fetched part comes from the fact that she agreed to marry someone else knowing full well that she was already married. But if you can get past that you are in for a very good read. Once I finished this book it had raised so many topics which kept spinning round and round in my mind that I couldn't stop talking about it for days. Though the main story is about Milly it's Rupert's that warmed my heart.

Overall I really enjoyed this book. I loved the quick pace, I loved the characters and though I found Milly's choices to be a little odd I still liked her. The wedding Girl is a book that is definitely worth your time.



Description of Photo

No comments:

Post a Comment