Description of Photo Description of Photo Description of Photo Description of Photo

Thursday 8 September 2011

Review: Who's That Girl? by Alexandra Potter

Title: Who's That Girl?
Author: Alexandra Potter

Release Date: January 8th 2009
Publisher: Hodder Paperbacks
Genre: Chick-Lit
Series: stand-alone Novel
Pages: 384
Format: Paperback
Rating: ★★


"If only you knew then what you know now...
Imagine if you could go back ten years and meet your younger self - would you recognise her? And what advice would you give?

Wear sunscreen!
Back away from those PVC trousers?DON'T give that idiot your phone number?Lemon juice won't bleach your hair - it just attracts wasps...He's the one - don't let him go!For Charlotte Merryweather, there's no need to imagine. She's about to find out for real. With surprising consequences..." Information taken from Amazon.



My thoughts: I was lent this book by a colleague at work and though I loved the concept of this story line I felt the author could have taken it a lot further and been a little more adventurous. 
Who's that girl? is about Charlotte who meets herself aged 21. She accidentally travels back in time and decides to give her younger self all the advice she wishes she had been given, but instead ends up being taught a thing or two. 
When you have a concept such as time travel the world is your oyster, and I felt that Alexander Potter didn't do the story justice. It took almost half the book to set the scene and ultimately I knew more about her banker boyfriend, who predictably didn't have that much of a large part, than any other character. Also there were seemly important topics raised that were taken no further and I felt that the ending was a little rushed. 
That being said I don't regret reading it, but I did feel that I came out of it thinking I could have done better. I know that sounds awful, but when reading the last page and closing the book I felt frustrated and filled with so many different ideas of where I could have taken the story. 

Overall a rather disappointing read, which I've only given 2 stars. A plot with such great potential but my expectations were not fulfilled. Though one good point is that it gave me something to talk about for days. And though this is not one of my best reviews I wouldn't say to avoid this book, because I'm sure there will be plenty of people out there that love this book.




Review by Grazing Pages

No comments:

Post a Comment