Description of Photo Description of Photo Description of Photo Description of Photo

Thursday 22 September 2011

Review: Sisters Red by Jackson Pearce

Title: Sisters Red
Author: Jackson Pearce, Youtube
Release Date: June 3rd 2010
Publisher: Hodder Children's Books
Genre: Young Adult, Paranormal
Series: Fairytale Retellings
Pages: 346
Format: Hardback
Rating: ★★★★★


"The story of Scarlett and Rosie March, two highly-skilled sisters who have been hunting Fenris (werewolves) -- who prey on teen girls -- since Scarlett lost her eye years ago while defending Rosie in an attack. Scarlett lives to destroy the Fenris, and she and Rosie lure them in with red cloaks (a colour the wolves can't resist), though Rosie hunts more out of debt to her sister than drive. But things seem to be changing. The wolves are getting stronger and harder to fight, and there has been a rash of news reports of countless teen girls brutally murdered in the city. Scarlet and Rosie soon discover the truth: wolves are banding together in search of a Potential Fenris -- a man tainted by the pack but not yet fully changed. Desperate to find the Potential to use him as bait for a massive werewolf extermination, the sisters move to the city with Silas, a young woodsman and long time family friend who is deadly with an axe. But the clues to finding the Potential aren't adding up, and Scarlet is shocked to learn new details of Silas's family history. Meanwhile, Rosie finds herself drawn to Silas and the bond they share not only drives the sisters apart, but could destroy all they've worked for."  Source Goodreads.



I hunted this book down after finding Jackson Pearce's youtube. I watched all her videos over the course of one day and thought that if her writing was anywhere near as compelling as her personality her books were bound to be fantastic. And I wasn't wrong...

Sisters Red. I loved this book so much. From the first few pages I had fallen in love with Scarlet and Rosie and was griped by their sheer determination to fight. The main thing that I enjoyed about Sister Red was the Fenris. Though Sister Red is yet another werewolf book out of many it's not like anything I've ever read. Fenris aren't your typical werewolf, they are pure evil and though they take human form it doesn't mean that they are in the least bit human. Instead they use their human form to entice their next meal, humans, young pretty girls to be precise. I loved this theory. Not that I love a story where young girls get eaten by the big bad wolf, but I love that it's a different take upon werewolves. 
Now onto the Characters. Sisters Red is written from the perspective of Rosie and Scarlet, two sisters, and like sisters they have their similarities but are from two ends of the personality spectrum. Scarlet is tough and brave and ultimately the leader, and though Rosie is brave she is a softer character. It's hard to describe two amazing characters without examples which would lead to spoilers, so I'd prefer for you to get to know them yourself. Silas is the male lead in Sisters Red and all I have to say about Silas is that I love him. I wouldn't say that I would leave my husband for him (if he was real) but he would easily come in a close second. I think everyone wants a bit of mystery when it comes to members of the opposite sex and Silas definitely holds his cards close to his heart. 
I love this and it definitely holds a great place in my heart. I would re-read this story over and over again. The plot is fast paced but full of information and nothing is left out. I never wanted to put this book down, and I never wanted the story to end and for me that makes a great book. I give this a huge 5 stars as I don't think anything could be improved. You need this book in your life. Now I'm just waiting until Jackson Pearce's new book Sweetly is released in the UK. Only one month to go.

Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment