Description of Photo Description of Photo Description of Photo Description of Photo

Monday 2 April 2012

Review: The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins


Author: Suzanne Collins
Release Date: September 14th 2008 
Publisher: Sholastic 
Genre: Young AdultDystopian 
Pages: 454
Format: Paperback
Rating: ★★★★★

"In a dark vision of the near future, twelve boys and twelve girls are forced to appear in a live TV show called the Hunger Games. There is only one rule: kill or be killed. 

When sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen steps forward to take her sister's place in the games, she sees it as a death sentence. But Katniss has been close to death before. For her, survival is second nature." Source Goodreads

I re-read The Hunger Games this week in honour of the movie release, so I thought what better time to write a book review, or at least my thoughts on a incredible book because we all know that it's amazing.
For those of you who are unfamiliar with The Hunger Games (I'm not sure that there are any of you left, but just in cases) it's set in a dystopian society where North America has been split up into 12 districts. Each district selects one girl and one boy between the ages of 12 and 18 to participate in the hunger games, a televised battle to the death with only one winner.
When I first picked this early last year I could only compare this to Battle Royal where teenagers are forced to kill each other and I must admit I was one of those people who thought it was a bit of a copy, until I read it and realised just how completely original the story was.

I don't usually re-read books but I thought I'd make an exception for this one, firstly because of the movie release but secondly because it's such and incredible book, and I have to say it's just as good the second time round if not better than the first. The Hunger Games is extremely fast paced and completely addictive  and I guarantee that you won't ever want to put it down. The characters are beyond amazing and well planned, and though it tackles such disturbing subject matter still utterly loveable. I loved Katniss' strong, brave and intelligent character who was also so naive about her actions within the games. I loved her power over the capital even though she had little idea of how effective her decisions were. Her reactions to the developing relationship between herself and Peeta was utterly enchanting especially the second time round even when you know what to expect.
The imagination is brilliant with wonderful but deadly creations such as tracker jackers, and horrendous mutations, and the arena even it's self. I couldn't rate this book any higher than 5 stars, though it completely deserves it, and I couldn't recommend it enough.
I also think it's odd how truly difficult it is to write a book review on your favourite book series of all time. No matter what you write it never seems to convey just how incredible this book actually is  and nothing seems to do it justice.

If you've not yet read this book, you need to and if you've not yet re-read this book then you need to. haha.

Happy Reading,
Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment